Hey all! It's Tuesday, and I'm going to share a quick how-to with you guys. I've already admitted to being a makeup junkie. Well, that applies to makeup brushes, as well. Until college, I never really thought about cleaning my makeup brushes. Then stress happened, and I started breaking out. I read somewhere that cleaning your brushes regularly can help if you are prone to acne. It makes sense right? Oils on your face get on your brush, then it sits there and festers (maybe not the best word choice) and you use it again the next day! I've been cleaning my brushes ever since, and have come up with a quick (and cheap!) way of deep cleaning my brushes.
All you need: Baby shampoo, water, and a towel.
So here is how I do it:
1. Collect your brushes, a small towel, and baby shampoo (I've found this to be the most gentle on my brushes). Start by wetting your first brush with lukewarm water, making sure that the brush is always pointing down- you don't want water getting up under the metal casing, it could wear down and pop off.
2. Squirt a dime size amount of shampoo into your hand. Put a bit of water on that.
3. Swirl your wet brush in your hand until all the suds and water are clear of any color. Watch all that nastiness run down the drain... be surprised how dirty they are!
4. Squeeze all of the water out of the brush and reshape the bristles how you want them. I usually squeeze them tight, so they keep their shape better.
5. Lay them flat to dry on your towel. Again, remember to not have them tilted up.
6. Wait overnight for them to dry, and then use your fresh and clean brushes in the morning!