Now, this ended up being a last minute pick by the hubby and I, but we REALLY wanted it. Of course, we didn't have all the ingredients that we needed - and we're at least 20 minutes from the nearest grocery store. So we did the next best thing, went to the mother-in-law one stop shop! She, of course, had everything we needed :)
Here is what you'll need: Chicken
- 1 lb Chicken Breast (cut into various 1 inch pieces)
- 1-2 cups Self-Rising Flour
- 2 eggs
- Oil for frying
Here is what you'll need: Sauce
- 3-4 oz Orange Juice ( I just used frozen can of OJ)
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Siracha Sauce (I used a bit more - fan of the spicy!)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tsp. corn starch
CHICKEN: 1. Heat the oil in your frying pan to about 375 degrees (make sure you have enough oil to cover the chicken).
2. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (It takes a while to fry the chicken so once you finish a batch you can put it in the oven to keep warm)
3. Wisk your eggs in a small bowl till fully mixed
4. Fill a bowl with the self-rising flour
5. Once you've cut your chicken into pieces - one or two at at time - dip into the egg bowl, then into the flour. Repeat twice to fully coat.
6. Once you have about 5-10 pieces put them in your frying vessel and let fry til golden brown (about 10 minutes-ish)
SAUCE: 1. Combine all sauce ingredients into a small pot (making sure the cornstarch is dissolved before cooking).
2. Cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens.
LAST STEP - Place fried chicken in a large bowl - and pour the sauce on top, mix until the chicken is fully coated. Serve immediately - I also added a sprinkle of red peppers! ENJOY :) Serve with rice or noodles!
(recipe adapted from - Rachel Rockwell)
If you don't have time to fry your chicken you could also just cook a bag of frozen popcorn chicken and make the sauce - either way you'll love this recipe! Let me know what you think? Have you ever tried to copycat a restaurant recipe? I'd love for you to share it with us here at Orchard Girls :)
Be sure to check our the parties we link to at our always-growing Link Party Directory!