Banner

Orchard Girls

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WWEW: Hardy Beef Stew w/ Homemade Dumplings

Hey guys! I'm going to share a recipe for beef stew that I made on Monday. It turned out really well, and was perfect for cozying us up during the cold weather. Also, it was really easy!

First, here are the ingredients:
- 2lbs stew meat
-1/2 cup flour
-1 tsp garlic powder
-3 Tbs oil
-4 cups of water
-4 beef bullion cubes
-1 tsp rosemary
-1 tsp parsley
-1 tsp pepper
-1 tsp caraway seeds
-1 bay leaf
-3 stalks celery, sliced
-2 carrots, sliced- or use baby carrots
-3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1inch-ish pieces

For the dumplings:
-1 cup flour
-2 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 Tbs butter
-1/2 milk

And here are the directions:
-Heat up your dutch oven, and add the 3 Tbs of oil.
-Put the 1/2 cup flour and garlic powder in gallon sized ziplock. Add the stew meat and shake. Once coated, add the meat into the dutch oven.
-Brown the meat, and then add the water, bullion cubes, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 1 hour.
-At the end of the first hour, add the vegetables. Let simmer another 45 min.
-Make the dumplings by mixing your dry ingredients into a large bowl. Work in the butter with a fork, and then stir in the milk to make a dough. Drop by spoonful into simmering liquid at end of the 45 min. Cover and let simmer/cook for 15 minutes. Do no remove the lid- the steam is what cooks the dumplings.
-Once the dumplings are done, serve it up and enjoy!

Besides it taking a while to make, I really enjoyed making this. I also enjoyed eating it :) I ended up freezing half of what was left, because I didn't think we could eat it all before it went bad. So that worked out pretty well! Another meal is already in the freezer!

I hope you guys are having a great week and I will be back on Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love chicken and dumplings, heck dumplings in general. I have never had beef with dumplings before, Im going to have to make this asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to throw them in last minute because I just REALLY wanted dumplings. I hadn't had them in beef stew either, but they were a wonderful addition :) Good luck.
      -Kenzie

      Delete

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...