Banner

Orchard Girls

Friday, April 25, 2014

DIY Crib Skirt and Ikea Crib Bumper Hack

Happy Friday, friends! I hope you had a great week, and have a fun weekend ahead. I wanted to leave you this week, with a fun nursery DIY. This project was so easy, and I love how it turned out. Our baby boy will be here anytime now - well, he is due in just 3 short weeks. I am trying to wrap up any last minute projects before he arrives, and this one was on the list. Now, I know there is some controversy about crib bumpers and their safety. However, with Adeline, as well as this baby, they won't sleep in their actual crib until they could/can roll over easily on their own. We have a small baby rocker/bed that they sleep in, in our room, for the first few months.  Anyway, all that aside - let's get started! :)

Let start with the crib bumper, this was a gift to us - Ikea's all white thing crib bumper with ties. Now, I wanted to spruce it up a bit and add our coordinating fabric to the bumper, so I decided to just sew strips of the fabric onto the bumper itself. 
-Cut 8x2'' rectangles out of your fabric
-Hold fabric strips into place and just make a straight stitch around the border of the fabric
The trickiest part is maneuvering the bulky bumper through your sewing machine - but it can be done! :)
 Now I attached the fabric strips to every other panel. You could do the entire side/s or whatever you'd like. I only did it to the front panel, because that is actually the only part you can see, on our style of crib.
Okay, onto the crib skirt. I didn't actually follow any rules, or directions for this part. Basically, all you're going to want to do it measure the length and height of your crib (where you want the skirt to be placed) which will depend on the placing of your mattress (newborn or lowered for older ones). Ours was already lowered, and since he won't be going in until after a few months - we decided to just keep it lowered.
 -Measure your crib for the skirt
-Cut your fabric (making sure to leave an extra inch or two for folding over and sewing a straight edge.
-Use Velcro sticky dots to attach the skirt to your crib
You can see a tutorial for Kenzie's Adjustable Crib Skirt HERE!
And a no sew crib skirt tutorial HERE!
Pictured down below is how mine turned out --
The fabric I chose was the Nursery Fabric "Liney Leaves". It is a white with shades of gray, dark blue, and yellow arrow looking leaves. I loved the colors and the look of it! I have some leftover fabric, and am still trying to figure out what I should do with it. Any suggestions? Let me know what you think in the comments below. Have a fabulous weekend, and of course, thanks for stopping by!
Linking to THESE parties!

2 comments:

  1. You could make burp cloths with the extra fabric! I love your choice of fabric and your finished project looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great idea, Kelly! Thank you for stopping by, have a wonderful week :)
      -Kayla

      Delete

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...